How To Make A Brideo'ga or Corn Husk Doll For Imbolc in 3 Easy Steps

I used to make these as a girl, you know because I lived next to a corn field from the time I was 5 until about 12-13 years old. Back then I had no idea what the meaning behind them was or that they had any purpose besides my entertainment. They are still one of my favorite crafts and I love that now they have a religious meaning. I'm not sure 100% on the origin of the cork husk doll or why it is associated with a Celtic deity. I think the first ones were actually made out of wheat grass or sweet grass but like I said I'm not 100% how a vegetable product found only in American became part of a celebration for a Celtic deity that existed before we even knew the Earth was round but hey, any reason to get Crafty (see what I did there?) and I'm all for it.

So let's get down to business.

I found this LOVELY diagram on Pinterest, oh you know how I love it, that is going to help save me because like with my other holiday pages the tutorial I made and put into my Book of Shadows with my cute little MS Paint diagrams was not saved to my computer when I printed it out so I did not have those.
 

Now I don't have to remake the diagrams I can just use these. I am going to re-type out my instructions, however, because sometimes you can explain something to people and they don't get it but another person will say the same exact thing you said but the person you were talking to gets it and you're like "I just said that!" Plus, it makes me feel less like I am just putting things from Pinterest on my blog!

How I Make My Brideo'ga
Supplies Needed:
  • You need a fresh husk for this OR you can do as instructed above and take dry husks (probably all you can find in Jan) and soak them in water until they are soft enough to mold. 
  • You slso need yarn or thread (to use for hair and/or to tie off sections) 
  • Cotton (Cotton balls or cotton batting) 
  • Fabric Material  (optional - clothing?)
  • Beads (optional)
  • Feathers (optional)
  • Paints (optional)
  • Water Colors or food coloring (optional - to dye the husks just add to the water you soak the husk in)

Step 1: Making The Head and Torso 
  • Take a strip of husk, fold it in half. 
  • Place two or three cotton balls in the middle and then twist the husk, tie it with a string to make the head. 
  • Leave a bit of husk in the front and back, below the head to create a torso. 

Step 2: Making The Arms 
  • Make a pair of arms for your doll by folding a couple of husks in half and then tying it at the ends to make hands. 
  • Slip the arms between the husks that form the torso and tie off at the waist. 
  • If you like your dolls plump (yes please) slide an extra cotton ball or two to give your Brighid doll a bit of shape.  

Step 3: A Skirt & Other Decor
  • Arrange a few more husks, upside down around the dolls waist to make a skirt. 
  • Overlap them slightly and then tie them in place with your yarn or thread. It should look like she has her skirt up over her face. 
  • After you've tied the waist, carefully fold the husks down so now her skirt comes downwards toward where her feet should be. 
  • Trim the hem of the skirt so it is even and to the length you desire. 
  • Let your doll completely dry. 
  • You can decorate her by giving her a face, some hair made of soft yarn, giving her clothing like an apron, applying bead-work or giving her a fancy belt.


Those are my instructions and this is a picture of what my cute little MS Paint diagram drawings look like:


Not much help huh? I hope that either of these were instructional and that you could follow along. If you have any questions you know that you can always comment and I'll try to help you if you get stuck. Next week I'll have a tutorial on how to make Brighid's Cross. That will be a video because I know my diagrams won't help you figure out what to do at all!

Comments

IamTheRaven said…
Thank you! This is a big help.

Popular Posts